It’s that time of year again. Autumn is here and winter is just around the corner. Prepping homes for winter weather is on many homeowners’ minds. Below are two key products (and their key features) consumers may need to maintain comfort and safety during storm season.
Portable generators keep the lights on, the water pumping and the heat blowing during winter power outages, making it the most important winter prep item in any retailers’ inventory. Portable generators should make life easier, not harder for consumers during their time of need. These key features do just that:
- Easy on/off switches for starting and stopping the generator. Hand-start models may be harder to operate for some individuals, making models with push button starters more appealing.
- Sturdy handles and wheels to aid portability.
- Fuel gauges and larger fuel tanks for fuel-powered models. This helps consumers track usage and reduces time spent refilling the unit.
- Circuit breakers to prevent damage to appliances and accessories in case of power surges.
The other workhorse during winter storms is the sump pump, often working overtime to keep homes dry. For reliability, sump pumps’ key features should include:
- Heavy-duty construction (cast iron housings and corrosion-resistant stainless steel motors are preferable)
- Built-in thermal overload motor protection
- Non-clogging vortex
- Extra-long cord for portable sump pumps