The North American Retail Hardware Association’s (NRHA) recent State of Independents Conference brought together innovative home improvement retailers from throughout the U.S. to offer insight into how their operations are evolving.
Six store owners participated in panel discussions on challenges, growth opportunities and changes they are seeing in the industry. View the videos below to see some highlights from the panel conversations.
- Brian Kabat, owner of Kabat Ace Hardware Stores in Arizona, talks about how to grow your business.
2. Dave Umber, owner of Umber’s Do it Best Hardware in Fort Wayne, Indiana, describes the types of people he hires as part-time employees.
3. Kabat challenges retailers to consider whether their struggle to find quality employees reflects that they may not be good employers. “Would you work for you?” he asks.
4. Eric Hassett, CEO and president of Hassett Hardware in the San Francisco Bay Area, offers insight from his operation’s hiring process.
5. Jackie Sacks, co-owner of Round Top Mercantile in Round Top, Texas, talks about managing inventory and offers advice to manufacturers trying to get their merchandise into her store.