About the 2023 Young Retailer of the Year Program
The Young Retailer of the Year program is the premier award in the industry honoring the next generation of independent home improvement retailers. Honorees benefit from exposure for themselves and their businesses, and they build a network with like-minded retailers in their generation. Honorees also have the opportunity to participate in additional programming and scholarships through NHPA.
Submitting a Nomination
- Click here for more information about the program.
- View or download the program brochure with official rules here.
Young Retailer of the Year honorees benefit from exposure for themselves and their businesses, and they build a network with like-minded retailers in their generation. They also have the opportunity to participate in additional programming through NHPA.
2023 Young Retailer of the Year honorees also receive:
- A cover story in Hardware Retailing and Paint & Decorating Retailer magazines
- A feature in the standalone digital publication
- A media kit to share with local media outlets and online, including a press release and social media assets
- Two tickets to the 2023 NHPA Independents Conference
- Roundtrip economy airfare for two to Dallas
- Two nights in the NHPA host hotel
Entries are scored based on nomination criteria, including contributions to operational growth; community involvement; engagement in industry education; and industry and organizational innovation.
Honorees are selected from three categories: stores with less than $3 million in sales; stores with more than $3 million in sales; and multiple-store operations.
Young Retailer of the Year nominees should be 35 years old or younger as of Jan. 28, 2023. They must work at independent hardware stores, home centers, lumberyards or paint and decorating outlets in the U.S., its territories or in Canada. Past entrants who were not chosen as previous honorees are encouraged to submit new applications.
Thank You to Our Sponsors
NHPA would also like to recognize the 2023 program sponsors for their dedication to the independent retailers who are pushing the boundaries of the industry each day. Thanks go to American Hardware & Lumber Insurance (AHLI), Arrow Fastener, Intertape Polymer Group (IPG), Midwest Fastener, Pony Jorgensen, PPG, Stihl and Wooster Brush.