At the 2020 Do it Best Shareholders’ Meeting held Sept. 10 in Fort Wayne, Indiana, the following member-owners were elected to their first terms on the co-op’s 12-person board of directors:
- Rob Gardiner—President, Damariscotta Hardware and Randolph Hardware
Gardiner serves as the president of a two-store home improvement business in Maine. He entered the family business at the age of 12, eventually working to transition ownership from his father. As his first store in Damariscotta thrived, he made the bold move to open a second location in Randolph in 2014.
- Scott Pesavento—Owner, Hemlock Hardware
Pesavento is the third-generation owner of Hemlock Hardware in Fairfield, Connecticut. He has been working in this store since he was 14 under the guidance of his father and grandfather. Scott’s welcoming neighborhood business is built on three very important principles: Respect, Effort, and Kindness. With these as their foundation, Hemlock Hardware routinely makes Fairfield County’s Best Hardware Store list. Scott’s business has also been locally recognized numerous times for their focus on safety and community service.
- Bob Vaughan—CEO, Alamo Lumber Co.
Vaughan is the CEO of Alamo Lumber Co. Under his leadership, the company has grown to 15 locations across southern Texas with their headquarters in San Antonio. He represents the fourth generation of his family to guide the business forward. Alamo Lumber Co., supported by over 200 dedicated employees, is committed to their communities. Under Vaughan’s leadership, they’ve created a tight-knit culture that treats their customers like family. His all-in support of Do it Best routinely earns Alamo Lumber Co. rebates that exceed $1 million annually.
Additionally, Michael Cohen, co-CEO of Panama Do it Center of Panama, was re-elected to a third term. Cohen oversees a team of 2,000 employees across 28 locations.
“I’m extremely proud of the diverse experiences and business types that are brought to our board of directors,” says Brad McDaniel, outgoing board chair. “Our board consists only of Do it Best member-owners, so the work we do is focused only in service to helping all of our members grow their businesses. Rob, Scott and Bob will all be great additions, and I’m even more confident in our future as I turn the gavel over to Doug Mans, our new board chair.”
Cohen, Gardiner, Pesavento and Vaughan join these fellow member-owners on the 2021 board:
- Eli Bliffert (Bliffert Lumber and Hardware, Milwaukee)
- Doug Mans (Mans Lumber and Millwork, Canton, Michigan)
- Brad McDaniel (McDaniel’s Do it Center®, Snohomish, Washington)
- Diana Newton (Bay Hardware and Lunada Bay Hardware, Seal Beach, California)
- Jeff Pardini (Hills Flat Lumber, Grass Valley, California)
- Tim Post (T & M Hardware & Rental, Ellwood City, Pennsylvania),
- David Sturdivant (Russell Do it Center®, Alexander City, Alabama)
- Joe Taylor (Pleasants Hardware and Taylor’s Do it Center®, Virginia Beach, Virginia)
The board also elected the following officers:
- Doug Mans, Board Chair
- Joe Taylor, Vice Chair
- Michael Cohen, Secretary
- David Sturdivant, Treasurer
About Do it Best Corp.
Based in Fort Wayne, Ind., Do it Best Corp. is the only U.S.-based, member-owned comprehensive and fully integrated hardware, lumber and building materials buying cooperative in the home improvement industry. With annual sales nearing $4 billion, Do it Best Corp. serves thousands of member-owned locations across the U.S. and in more than 50 other countries.