The North American Hardware and Paint Association (NHPA) Young Retailer of the Year recognition program identifies and promotes the next generation of aspiring independent home improvement and paint retailers. It recognizes individual achievement in the industry by retailers 35 years of age or younger throughout the U.S., its territories and Canada. Selected from different retail categories, honorees are chosen based on criteria such as career accomplishments, community involvement, ongoing education within the industry and extracurricular activities.
Nominees must be:
- 35 years or younger by Jan. 28, 2023
- Working in the independent home improvement channel
- Current resident of the U.S. or Canada
4 Helpful Tips
- Career High Points How have you contributed to your organization and the industry? What are some career milestones?
- Industry Education How are you learning and growing in the industry and how have you used those opportunities to grow your business?
- Community Involvement How are you engaged with your community and neighborhood?
- Other Activities What are you doing to achieve business advancement? What are your career goals and dreams?
Opening New Opportunities
Former honorees share what it means to receive the Young Retailer of the Year award.
“Being a Young Retailer of the Year honoree was one of the greatest awards I’ve received in my career. It shows that all NHPA members are a part of something much larger than their own stores. Being an honoree has opened lots of new doors for myself and company. Most of all, it has allowed me to grow my network of successful young retailers across the country in all segments of the paint and hardware world.” – Jay Donnelly, Flanagan Paint & Supply, 2021 Honoree
“I look at the other honorees’ accomplishments and to be included in that group has given me additional confidence in my abilities, the systems we have in place at our stores and the quality of our teams. As an honoree, I am part of a network of peers that is one of the most elite hardware think tanks in the world. I’ve been asked to serve on multiple committees, teach and train others, and I’ve even had some job offers extended. It’s been truly life changing.” – Franklin Cloninger, Triangle True Value Hardware, 2019 Honoree
“It is humbling to be honored and rewarded for hard work put forth to expand and grow the company. Being a Young Retailer of the Year honoree has provided opportunities to meet with fellow retailers, vendors representatives and wholesalers I probably wouldn’t have met before joining this elite group. I have been able to participate in industry conferences and panels that not only expand my knowledge but also open the door for growing relationships with like-minded individuals.” – Jackie Sacks, Farmers Lumber Co., 2017 Honoree