Suppliers and retailers from across Canada gathered last night to honor the retail home improvement industry’s best hardware and building supply retailers. The occasion was the 2019 Outstanding Retailer Awards Gala Dinner, which marked the end of day one of the 24th Annual Hardlines Conference in King City, Ontario.
Delegates at the Hardlines Conference joined leaders from the retail chains, co-ops and buying groups who attended the Gala Dinner to honor their members and fellow retailers. Retailers from across the country were celebrated in eight categories covering the range of hardware and home improvement retailing formats, including a brand new category that recognizes the entrepreneurial spirit that is at the core of this industry.
This year’s winners are:
- Best Hardware Store, any size – Windsor Home Hardware in Windsor, Nova Scotia; Jeff Redden, owner
- Best Building Supply or Home Center under 15,000 square feet – Norquay Co-operative Association Ltd. in Norquay, Saskatchewan; Justin Petelski, manager
- Best Building Supply or Home Center over 15,000 square feet – Cobourg Home Hardware Building Centre in Cobourg, Ontario; Brad and Alana O’Neill, Joel Curtis, owners
- Best Contractor Specialist – Wolf Creek Building Supplies in Lacombe, Alberta; John deRegt, owner
- Best Large Surface Retailer – Lowe’s Crowfoot in Calgary, Alberta; Ahsan Rana, manager
- Best Young Retailer – Rebecca Wichers-Schreur, manager, Wood Works of Renfrew in Renfrew, Ontario
- Marc Robichaud Community Leader – RONA L’entrepôt Plateau in Gatineau, Quebec; Christian Leduc, manager
- Independent Spirit – Ace Victory Building Centre in Mackenzie, British Columbia; Sylvain and Marilyne Laferriere, owners
The winners are carefully chosen from a field of high-quality nominees that are submitted from every part of Canada. The winners stood out within this elite group thanks to their ability to exceed in the areas of good business practice, customer relations, innovation and niche marketing.
“As with every industry, there are companies that stand out and individuals who make a difference. We are proud to be able to showcase the excellence in this industry through these awards,” says Michael McLarney, president of Hardlines Inc., which presents the awards.
About the Outstanding Retailer Awards
Launched in 1992, the Hardlines Outstanding Retailer Awards are the industry’s only national awards program dedicated to celebrating the achievements of hardware and building supply dealers in Canada. In its 27-year history, the program has honored more than 150 retailers.
Celebrating its 24th year, Hardlines Inc. is a leading authority on the retail home improvement industry in Canada. Hardlines’ products and services include its weekly Hardlines electronic newsletter; its print magazine, Hardlines Home Improvement Quarterly; a comprehensive and informative website; Hardlines Dealer News for retail dealers and managers; a free daily news service; and the annual Hardlines Conference.