Earlier this fall, Independent We Stand, a movement that exists to support independent businesses, kicked off its contest to help recognize locally owned small businesses that have gone above and beyond to deliver great customer service and community support. After tallying nearly 20,000 votes for 249 nominees, 25 small businesses have been selected as quarterfinalists.
Now in its seventh year, Independent We Stand’s Independent Small Business of the Year Award, also known as the Indie Award, will reward a small business with $5,000 in cash, as well as a new prize package valued at $50,000.
This package will provide a marketing makeover and also includes a gift of $1,000 to the winner’s small business group of choice. The release of these quarterfinalists precedes Small Business Saturday on Nov. 25, encouraging holiday shoppers to support these businesses instead of nationally franchised and commercial big-box stores.
Semifinalist voting began Nov. 20 at IndieBizAward.com and runs through Dec. 10. Independent We Stand will announce the winner of the Indie Award on Dec. 13.
Of the 25 quarterfinalists, five are independent hardware and home improvement operations. Check out the hardware retailer quarterfinalists below and click the link to vote for your fellow independents in the hardware industry.
- Carr Hardware, Pittsfield, Massachusetts
- Cornell’s True Value Hardware, Eastchester, New York
- Hardware Hank, East Grand Forks, Minnesota
- Petersburg Hardware, Petersburg, Indiana
- T & M Hardware & Rental, Bellevue, Pennsylvania
The winner of the 2017 Indie Award will receive a prize package that includes:
- A branding, advertising and public relations makeover from The Meridian Group.
- $5,000 cash, plus $1,000 in bonus cash for the winner’s favorite small business group.
- A 12-month subscription and three months of free managed marketing services for small business email and social media services from SnapRetail.
- A three-day, two-night retreat and branding workshop in Virginia Beach, Virginia.
- A $1,000 STIHL equipment certificate.
- Public relations and social recognition.
All quarterfinalists will receive a free Independent We Stand premium membership for life.
For more information on The Indie or to vote for your favorite small business, visit IndieBizAward.com.